Burlington - Ontario
Annual Events/Attractions - Brant Inn Compass - Burlington's History - Business Directory
Fire Hydrants
- Historical Markers -
Honour Roll of Trees -
Magnetic Hill - Museums
Naval and War Memorials
Spencer Smith Park - Home - Contact
"Burlington's History, Cast in Bronze, Carved in Stone"
A collection of more than 300 plaques, markers, cornerstones, date stones and dates poured in concrete.
Burlington's History recorded in bronze, aluminum, cast iron, stone, wood, stained glass and painted plywood.
Historical Markers - Burlington
--------------- Erected by ---------------
the Province of Ontario,

Burlington - Burlington Heights - Halton Region
Burlington ON. 50 Northshore Blvd. La Salle Park, just inside main entrance.
La Salle at the Head of the Lake
In 1669 René-Robert Cavelier de la Salle, intent on reaching the Ohio River in order "not to leave to another the honour of finding the way to the Southern Sea, and thereby the route to China", set out on the first of his many journeys of exploration. Accompanied by the Sulpican missionaries Dollier and Galinée, he left Montreal in July and reached Burlington Bay at the head of Lake Ontario some two months later. La Salle continued inland to Tinaouataoua, a Seneca hamlet midway between present-day Dundas and Brantford, where surprisingly he met Adrien Jolliet, an explorer returning from a mission to the Great Lakes. Having decided not to proceed westward, he then left Dollier and Galinée and by 1670 had returned to Montreal.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture
Burlington ON. 1240 Northshore Blvd. E. Joseph Brant Museum. Erected 1961.
The Brant House
The original house on this site was built about 1800 by the famous Mohawk Chief Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea).
Two years previously Captain Brant had been granted some 3500 acres of land in this area for his military services to the Crown during the American Revolution.
He died here in 1807, and the house, around which grew the community of Wellington Square, was thereafter occupied by his wife Catherine and his youngest son Captain John Brant (Ahyouwaeghs).
The present house, a replica of the original, is the result of an extensive restoration carried out in 1937-38.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board
Burlington ON. W.E. Brechon Public School. 345 Tuck Drive. Charles Beaudoin Public School.
World Championship Wheat 1954
At the 1954 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto, William E. Breckon of Burlington won the World Wheat Championship with grain grown on his Nelson Township farm about two miles north-east of here. He led the white winter wheat class seven times before becoming "wheat king" with a sample of Genesee, a variety developed at Cornell University, N.Y. Since western Canada's hard spring varieties had long dominated the wheat awards at the Fair, Breckon's world championship, the first for an Ontario farmer and the first for winter wheat, was widely acclaimed. This school and the adjoining park were named after W.E. Breckon, who served Nelson Township School Board as chairman or trustee from 1943 to 1956.

Erected by the Archeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario
Burlington ON. Lakeshore Rd, across from Spencer Smith Park. (between 1363 and 1381 Lakeshore Rd.)
Reverend Thomas Greene
at St. Luke's Wellington Square

St. Luke's Church was built in 1934 on land originally patented by Chief Joseph Brant. Consecrated in 1938 by the Right Reverend C.J. Mountain, Anglican Bishop of Quebec, the church was a simple two-storey, frame building, with tower, plain Gothic windows and box pews. St. Luke's first permanent rector, Reverend Thomas Greene, was appointed the year of the church's consecration. Greene (1809-1878) had been brought to Canada from Ireland in 1836 by Bishop Stewart's Upper Canadian Travelling Mission Fund. Records of his journeys throughout the London District provide invaluable information on life among the early settlers in that area. As a result of extensive alterations begun in 1893, his original church has been substantially changed.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministrie of Culture and Recreation
Hamilton ON. Near light house and lightkeepers house on Hamilton side of the canal. Erected 1939.
Burlington Bay Canal
The first public work undertaken with the financial backing of the provincial government, Burlington Bay canal was proposed as one of a series of waterways to provide uninterrupted navigation from Lake Erie to the Atlantic Ocean. It was also championed by area residents as a means of rendering Burlington bay a usable harbour. In 1823, at the urging of Hamilton merchant James Crooks, the House of Assembly authorized the construction of the canal. Work began the following year and, although not yet finished, the waterway was officially opened by Lieutenant Governor Sir Peregrine Maitland on July 1, 1826. Following delays caused by technical difficulties, Burlington Bay Canal was finally completed in 1832, thereby ensuring Hamilton's rapid development as the commercial centre at the Head of the Lake.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communication